- Yield: 10 Servings
- Total Time: 2 Hours 35 Minutes
- ½ stick unsalted butter, cubed, plus more for greasing
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed and meat crumbled
- 2 medium red onions, cut into 1-inch wedges through the core
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb curly kale, leaves torn
- 4 large eggs
- 2½ cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1¼ lbs sourdough bread, torn into 2-inch pieces
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss sausage, onions and oil and season with salt and black pepper. Roast for about 20 minutes, until browned and softened. Scatter kale on top of sausage and onions and roast for about 5 minutes, until just wilted. Transfer one-fourth of the mixture to a plate and reserve. Let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with the chicken stock. Add bread, ½ stick of butter, parsley, thyme, crushed red pepper, 1½ teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper; mix well. Fold in three-fourths of sausage-kale mixture, then scrape into prepared baking dish. Decoratively scatter reserved sausage-kale mixture on top, gently pressing it into the stuffing. Cover the baking dish tightly with foil.
- Bake stuffing for 30 minutes, until hot. Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer, until lightly browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.