Pesto is a wonderful invention finely chopping fresh herbs to release their powerful aromas enhanced by olive oil and salt is pure genius. A simple yet flavorful pesto can be made with a minimum of ingredients. But adding nuts, garlic, and lemon juice elevates the pesto to another level. Here, walnuts are featured with basil. A great add-in for both pastas and sauces and a perfect topping for Italian- and French inspired burgers.
- Yield: 5 ounces (150 g)
- 1 large bunch fresh basil leaves
- 3½ ounces (100 g) walnuts or pine nuts
- ¼ cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (10 g) grated Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
- 1½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice, plus more as needed
- Salt, to taste
- In a food processor, combine all the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings with more salt or lemon juice if needed. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate.