- Yield: 8 Servings(12-inch) pizzas
For the Pizza Dough
- 1 cup warm water (110°F)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons honey
- 1½ teaspoons table salt or fine sea salt
- 2½ to 3 cups all-purpose flour
For the Pizza Sauce
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, or ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced (½ teaspoon)
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt or table salt, plus more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- Flour, for Dusting
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Optional toppings: shredded or sliced mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, fresh basil, pepperoni, sliced bell peppers, olives, sliced onion, mushrooms, Canadian bacon, pineapple, jalapeños
How to Make It
Make the Pizza Dough
- In a small bowl, mix the warm water, yeast, and sugar. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 5 minutes, or until it starts to foam.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine the yeast mixture, oil, honey, and salt. Add 1 cup of the flour and knead by hand or with the dough hook until combined. Add more flour, ¼ cup at a time, and knead until the dough is smooth, soft, and just a little bit sticky, but not to where the dough still sticks to the bowl. Knead for 3 to 5 minutes more. Roll the dough into a ball and rub a little oil around the dough. Place the dough in a clean bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside for 20 minutes, or until the dough puffs up a bit. It doesn’t need to rise much. Make the Pizza Sauce
- In a small bowl, whisk together the pizza sauce ingredients. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Prep any toppings you’ll be using.
- Dust your work surface with flour. Turn out the dough, cut it in half, and then roll out each piece with a rolling pin or toss until the dough is about ¼ inch thick and 12 inches wide. (You can also divide the dough into quarters to make four 6-inch personal pizzas.)
- Lightly brush a pizza stone or large baking sheet with oil. Place the dough on the stone or baking sheet. Spread sauce over the dough and add your favorite toppings.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. For smaller pizzas, check them after about 12 minutes.