My friend Sheilagh Guy Murphy did a CBC TV cooking segment with me and, after much giggling and general silliness, we managed to complete this recipe of hers. The mushroom flavour is so condensed that this soup will become like manna for true mushroom devotees.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 1 lb (454 g) fresh mushrooms
- ½ Lemon juice
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) green onions, minced
- ½ bay leaf
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) dried thyme
- 2 cups (500 mL) whipping cream
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken stock
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) parsley, chopped
- Finely chop mushrooms and combine with lemon juice. Melt butter in large frying pan on medium. Add green onions and sauté. Add mushrooms, bay leaf, and thyme. Cook and stir until liquid completely evaporates. Blend in cream, chicken stock, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Remove bay leaf. Reduce heat. Dissolve cornstarch in water and add to soup. Simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with parsley.