- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 calf’s tongue, about 2 ½ pounds
- Aromatic vegetables (onion, carrot and celery), whole and chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to Make It
- Cook the tongue in boiling salted water with the whole aromatic vegetables for about 2 hours. Set aside to cool in the cooking liquid. Drain, peel, and cut into thin slices.
- In a skillet, warm 6 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chopped aromatic vegetables, and cook until soft. Sprinkle with the flour, and cook over low heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare the “sweet and sour sauce”: in a bowl, combine the vinegar, ½ cup of water, the sugar, pine nuts and chocolate, and mix well.
- Add the mixture to the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes. Add the tongue and cook until the sauce is very creamy, another 10 minutes.
- Let rest for a bit before serving, or refrigerate and re-heat.
- The same sweet-and-sour sauce can be used for hare and wild boar.