- Yield: 3 Dozen
- 0.66 cup (135 g) superfi ne sugar
- ½ cup (100 g) Spectrum Organic Shortening
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (60 g) Bob’s Red Mill tapioca flour
- 1 cup (125 g) Bob’s Red Mill white rice flour
- 1 teaspoon (4.6 g) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon (1.5 g) salt
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) rice milk, safe milk alternative, or water
- 1 cup (80 g) certified gluten-free rolled oats, or quinoa or rice flakes
- 1 cup (320 g) of your favorite safe jam
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4).
- To make the cookies: With a mixer, partially combine the sugar, shortening, and vanilla. Add in the dry ingredients. Mix on low while slowly adding in the milk.
- Th e dough should look smooth but not fi rm. You should be able to pinch off a piece and roll it into a soft ball without it sticking too much to your hands. If the dough appears watery, add in 1 tablespoon (8 g) powdered sugar at a time until the dough reaches the correct consistency. If the dough is too dry, add 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of rice milk.
- Pinch off about 1 tablespoon (16 g) of dough and roll into balls. Set aside.
- To make the topping: In a food processor or coff ee grinder, grind the oats into a coarse consistency like oat bran. Place in a shallow bowl.
- Roll dough balls in the oats and coat well. Place coated balls on a baking sheet. Using your thumb or two fi ngers, create a shallow, even indentation in each ball. Fill with about 1 teaspoon (7 g) of jam
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until edges are golden. Let cool for about 10 minutes on baking sheet before removing to a fl at surface to cool completely