- Yield: 15 fl oz (450 ml) jar
For the Slaw
- ¼ red cabbage, thinly sliced
- ¼ white cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canned sweetcorn/corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 2 freshly squeezed lime juices
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ small red chilli/chile, finely chopped
For the Ancho Chilli/Chile & Mango Dressing
- 2 large dried ancho chillies/chiles, soaked in boiling water for 15 minutes, then drained
- 1 small ghost chilli/chile, soaked in boiling water for 15 minutes (or use 3–4 very hot bird‘s eye chillies/chiles), then drained
- 1½ cups (355 ml) mango puree
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1–2 tablespoons unrefined sugar or agave syrup
For the Filling and To Assemble
- 14-oz (2 x 410-g) cans heart of palm, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups (150 g) cornflour/cornstarch or potato starch
- 1 cup (150 g) plus 2 tablespoons plain/all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons togarashi spice mix
- scant 1–1¼ cups (200–300 ml) sparkling water
- 20 mixed blue and yellow corn tacos, 10 cm/4 inch width
- 6 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon pickled ginger strips
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- approx 15 fl oz (450 ml) vegetable oil, for deep frying
How to Make It
- To make the ‘slaw, mix together all the ingredients in a bowl. Set aside for 1 hour, longer if possible, to allow the cabbages to soften.
- To make the dressing, add the chillies/chiles, 120 ml/½ cup water, the mango purée, salt and sugar or agave syrup to a pan. Bring to a simmer for 10 minutes, remove from the heat and purée using a stick blender. Taste the sauce and add more sugar and salt as needed. If too thick, add a little more water. Set aside at room temperature.
- To make the filling, pat the heart of palm dry, then slice lengthways. Put the cornflour/cornstarch, flour, salt and togarashi spice mix into a large bowl. Add 200 ml/¾–1 cup of the water and whisk to make a loose batter. Add more water as needed, so the batter thinly coats the back of a spoon. Heat the oil in a large, deep pan to about 190˚C/375˚F. Test the temperature of the oil by dropping in a breadcrumb and if it sizzles without burning, the oil is ready.
- Dip the heart of palm pieces into the batter to coat, shake gently to remove the excess then lay gently in the hot oil. Fry in batches for about 2–3 minutes on each side until the batter is crispy and golden. Drain on paper towels. Fry the remaining pieces, and set aside on a baking sheet in a low oven to keep warm.
- Warm the tacos according to the packet instructions, then put two or three on each plate. Add a spoonful of the ‘slaw mixture to each. Halve the fried palm pieces, then lay several pieces on top of each taco. Drizzle each with the mayo and some ancho chilli/chile & mango dressing, and top with ginger and sesame seeds if using. Serve immediately.