Never trust appearances; the least of things can conceal a surprise or even a trap, as Bartimae us knows well. These sandwiches will remind you that all may not be as it seems. That strange creature over there, is it human or is it actually a golem ready to do its master’s bidding? And that curious amulet hanging from a chain on the chest of the new Minister? And these apples, at first glance so sweet and inoffensive, what are they concealing?
- Yield: 20 sandwiches
- 4 Granny Smith apples
- 2 Lemon juice
- 9 oz Brie-type cheese
- 4 slices York (smoked) ham
- 4 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Peel the apples, remove the cores, and cut them into slices about 1/8-inch thick. Place the slices in lemon juice as you go so they don’t oxidize.
- Cut the brie into very thin slices. Remove the rind of the ham, then cut out circles from it using a glass as a cookie cutter.
- Drain the apples, dry them with paper towels (or a suitable spell), and cut out circles from them using the glass cookie cutter.
- Spread ¼ teaspoon of mustard on half of the apple circles, place a slice of brie and a slice of smoked ham on top, and then top with a second apple circle and press down gently. If you’re worried about keeping everything in place and don’t have a suitable spell to hand, feel free to insert toothpicks through the center.