- Yield: 3 Dozen
- ¾ cup (150 g) Spectrum Organic Shortening
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) unsulfured molasses
- 2 cups (250 g) Bob’s Red Mill white rice flour
- ½ cup (60 g) Bob’s Red Mill tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons (9.2 g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (2.3 g) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (1 g) ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon (1.8 g) ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon (3 g) salt
- 1 cup (200 g) raw sugar or colored sugar
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C, or gas mark 5).
- Melt the shortening in a saucepan on the stove, then remove from heat and set aside.
- With a mixer, combine the sugar, water, and molasses. Add the rice fl our and the next 6 ingredients (through salt). Pour the melted shortening over the dry ingredients and start mixer on low. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then turn mixer to medium speed and mix for 1 minute.
- Pinch off 1- to 2-inch (2.5- to 5-cm) pieces of dough and roll into balls. Place raw or colored sugar in a shallow bowl and roll each dough ball in sugar to coat. Place about 12 balls, evenly spaced, on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes. Let sit on the baking sheet for about 2 minutes before removing. Sprinkle with raw sugar if desired. With a fl at spatula remove from the sheet to cool completely on a fl at surface.