A classy burger with a rich mushroom gravy, ahem!
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Total Time: 1 Hour
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tbsp black pepper (coarse)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms (assorted)
- 3 tbsp shallots (finely sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp flour
- ½ cup dry red wine
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 tsp freshly snipped thyme
- 2 tbsp brandy/cognac
- 2 tbsp butter (unsalted)
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups arugula (Rocket) or watercress
- 6 hamburger buns (cut open and toasted)
- ½ cup blue cheese (crumbled)
How to Make It
- Shape the meat into 6 burger patties (¾” thick). Season one side of the patty with black pepper (preferably the coarse one), press it into the meat a little. Cover and slip them into the refrigerator for half an hour (This can be done overnight).
- Heat your charcoal/gas grill to a medium heat while the gravy is being prepared.
- In a pan, pour a very small portion of oil and heat over medium-high heat and cook the mushrooms (4 mins.), until golden, without stirring. Add the shallots and garlic and stirfry for an additional 3 mins. Sprinkle flour into the pan and stir to coat mushrooms. Stir briskly to prevent burning.
- Now add the wine and stir thoroughly to get everything incorporated. Allow the wine to boil then reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer until most but not all the liquid is gone, roughly 4 mins.
- Gently pour in the broth, add thyme, increase the heat and allow pot to boil again. Reduce the heat once you have reached this point and simmer for 2-3 mins., until thickened. Remove the pan from the heat for a moment and add Cognac and butter carefully.
- Return pan to the heat and gently stir until the butter is melted. Add seasoning to taste and keep warm. You will use it shortly.
- Season the patties with salt. Place them on a greased rack and grill directly over heat, covered. Grill for roughly 16-18 mins. (internal temperature should be 160–165°F when ready).
- Spread the arugula on the bottom buns. Top with patties and mushroom gravy. Sprinkle the blue cheese and perch the tops on top of this tasty treat. Enjoy!