- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 4 coriander (cilantro) roots, cleaned
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 7 oz (200 g) minced (ground) shrimp or very small raw prawns (shrimp)
- 1 oz (25 g) grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 6 oz (150 g) grated coconut or desiccated coconut
- 6 oz (150 g) palm sugar (jaggery)
- 1 quantity of steamed sticky rice with coconut milk
- 3 makrut (kaffir) lime leaves, thinly sliced, for garnish
How to Make It
- To make the shrimp topping, use a pestle and mortar to pound the garlic, coriander roots and pepper to a smooth paste. Alternatively, chop with a sharp knife until smooth. Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan and stir-fry the garlic mixture over medium heat until fragrant. Add the minced shrimp or prawns, coconut, fish sauce and sugar and stir-fry for 3–4 minutes, or until the minced shrimp is cooked. Taste, then adjust the seasoning if necessary. The flavour should be sweet and lightly salty.
- To make the coconut topping, mix the coconut, sugar, 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) water and a pinch of salt in a saucepan and stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Do not let it thicken to a point where it will harden. Remove from the heat.
- Serve by filling a small, wet bowl with the sticky rice and turning it out on a small plate. Top with shrimp or coconut topping and a sprinkle of lime leaves. You can use half of each topping if you like.