- Yield: 3 Dozen
- 0.66 cup (135 g) superfine sugar
- ½ cup (100 g) Spectrum Organic Shortening
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (60 g) Bob’s Red Mill tapioca flour
- 1 cup (125 g) Bob’s Red Mill white rice flour
- ½ teaspoon (2.3 g) baking soda
- ¼ 4 teaspoon (1.5 g) salt
- 3 tablespoons (30 to 45 ml) rice milk, safe milk alternative, or water
- 1 cup (175 g) Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4).
- With a mixer, cream together the sugar, shortening, and vanilla to partially combine ingredients. Add in the tapioca flour and the next 3 ingredients (through salt). Mix on low while slowly adding in the rice milk.
- Dough should look smooth but not firm. If the dough appears watery, add in 1 tablespoon (8 g) powdered sugar at a time until the dough reaches the correct consistency. If dough is too dry, add 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of additional rice milk
- Scoop dough with a small ice cream/cookie scoop or pinch off equal amounts of dough and roll into balls. Place on a baking sheet 5 inches (12.5 cm) apart (about 6 cookies on an average-size baking sheet). Flatten dough evenly.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until cookies are slightly golden around edges and have cracks on the tops. Even if they are not golden, when you see the cracks forming the cookies, remove them from the oven. Let cool for 1 minute, then remove from baking sheet with a spatula and cool completely on a fl at surface.
- In a deep and narrow microwave-proof bowl, heat the chocolate chips at 30-second intervals, stirring at each interval, until melted. Stir until smooth. Dip half of each cooled cookie into the melted chocolate. Lay cookies on a baking sheet lined with nonstick parchment paper or aluminum foil. Let cool completely.