Lisa MacKenzie, former Casbah chef in St. John’s, introduced me to this salad when we did a TV cooking segment. It contains some of my favourite ingredients – figs, carrots, pistachios, and olive oil. More importantly, they’re all really good for you. For example, did you know that figs are bursting with anti-oxidants, phytonutrients, and vitamins? Well, they are. So eat your salad.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) ground cumin
- pinch of cayenne
- 4 cups (1 L) julienned carrot
- ½ cup (125 ml) dried figs, sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- ground pistachio nuts
- In a bowl combine all ingredients except the pistachios, and leave to rest for 30 minutes or longer.
- This will allow the flavours to develop. Sprinkle with nuts before serving.