- Yield: 4 Servings
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, slivered
- 2 large whole bay leaves (preferably fresh)
- 2 packages (9 ounces each) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, drained, and moderately thinly sliced
- 1 pound shelled and deveined raw medium-size shrimp
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 4 ounces Gruyère cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 cup moderately fine soft white bread crumbs mixed with 1⁄4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano and 11⁄2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter (Topping)
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spritz shallow 11⁄2-quart casserole or au gratin pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat oil in large heavy nonreactive skillet over moderate heat 1½ to 2 minutes until ripples appear on pan bottom. Add garlic and bay leaves, cook 2 to 3 minutes, then scoop out and discard.
- Add artichoke hearts to skillet, raise heat to moderately high, and stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes until beginning to brown. Add shrimp and stirfry 3 to 5 minutes until pink.
- Remove from heat, mix in lemon juice, salt, and hot red pepper sauce, then cheese. Scoop into casserole, spread to edge, and scatter Topping evenly over all.
- Slide onto middle oven shelf and bake uncovered about 20 minutes until bubbling and nicely browned.
- Serve at table with a tartly dressed salad of mixed greens or, if you prefer, perfectly ripened tomatoes.